Creative Act XXX — Stencil Blobs

My early attempts at decorative stenciling did not turn out as planned.  This was not exactly as easy as the stenciling I did as a kid — of course that was using easy-to-control pencil crayons rather than easy-to-run paint.

I had prepared an old pencil box with two coats of black satin deco-paint from Michaels.  Starting with a yellow sun, I happily made sure I covered all the spots in the stencil with lots of the bright enamel paint.  Then, carefully untaping & lifting the stencil from the box, . . . eek, it’s blobby everywhere!  Waaaay too much paint.

I quickly wiped most of the yellow off with a wet cloth & decided to go straight to the metallic copper paint I was going to use for highlighting.  Only the eyes were even worse than with the yellow & when I tried to wipe it off, I found that this paint dries almost instantly!!!  Double eek.

I was worried about the artsy shading part but I won’t get to that if I can’t get the main image clear.  On the other side of the box, using way less paint & staying in the edges, I stencil a blue moon with a metallic silver ‘shooting’ star.

The edges are still not clearly defined but at least I don’t have blobs of paint along them.  I added clouds of butterflies & stars with foam stickers.  The result is definitely not the work of an ‘artiste’ — perfection only comes with practice.

🙂 I did better on the plastic sliders in the bathroom cabinet — simply had to cover an ugly spot that’s been bugging me.  It was really good incentive to paint the rest of the 1950s era cabinet – and to get a few thinner artist brushes to use rather than thick craft ones!

The much-better-looking cabinet is still taped because I’m not sure if the one coat is enough.  It sure is different paint to work with — especially compared to regular house paint.  And both of these deco-types dried so differently.

A fairly thick paint, the black enamel went on with a nice flow & dried really smooth.  But there were a few areas where my bigger brush was leaving spots of the original beige showing through.  I went over these areas with a smaller brush — but after drying, they are visible as slightly higher areas than the ‘first’ coat.

The copper metallic paint was much harder to work with.  It dries very quickly!!!  I would get about an inch of the chrome edging done with smooth paint strokes.  Then when I got more paint to continue the next section & tried to ‘connect’ the two areas, I would create little bumps where the already-tacky paint was rolling into fresh, liquid paint.

I’m just not sure how to keep the flow going without the noticeable meeting area.  Maybe if I painted it vertically rather than horizontally.  Any ideas?

I do think I’ll add another gold & another silver star to the ‘night’ side of the sliders — but that’ll be the end to stenciling in the house for awhile.  I’ll practice out in the garage before I attempt things like a border of little leaves with shading — like a real artist!

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s