I love the design process — constant learning & constant change — until finally you’ve created something you’re [kinda] happy with. [Ha, notice the kinda? Is there ever the ‘perfect’ finish for a creator? There’s always some little change I want to do. But, at some point, it’s time to say stop, look, & decide.
I’ve been working on developing a logo for my sites & glass design company.
It started with this initial-on-initial ‘logo’ for one of my writing sites. The font is “Apple Chancery” with the name in .8 mm size & the initials in .15 mm size. I like the way the B is totally enclosed within the D but still visible in the middle.
Then I changed the font to see what a lighter, more delicate pen would look like. This first time around, it seems quite light for viewing on a web page. But I do like the delicateness of all the letters — especially the capital initials. Both the name & the initials should be in ‘bold’.
This font is “Harrington”. I really like the curls on the capital letters — this time I raised the initial V to be slightly higher than the D to have the two curls cross & almost look to be combined. The name, though, might be too light —
–> what if I ‘bold’ it? Since this font didn’t have bold, I duplicated the layer & tried to place it [at over 400% zoom] exactly over the first layer — not an exact pixel match! It looked ‘smudged’ at that zoom level — how does it look here?
These are all in the “Iris” font. The first is a .jpg file, while the others are .png files — is there any difference when viewing? Also, the 1st .png file has ‘interlaced’ off, while the 2nd has it on — again, is there any difference when viewing?
I was extremely interested in how this “Lucinda Blackletter” font was going to turn out — I ‘erased’ out pixels in upper right corner of the V because it was almost touching the left side. I like the way the full name turned out [a lot different working with pixels at 370% zoom!] but find the initials take up too much space — should I try them at a smaller font?
This Matura font is a little too ‘fat’ to work well for the screen. I may try enlarging the font size of the name a few pixels but maybe only 1 pixel greater for the initials. Also, the initials don’t seem to fit too well together — the D is tilted more to the right than the V.
The experiment continues . . .
I think I’m beginning to understand why some graphic artists get into developing new fonts — so many choices yet still not exactly what I want. Hmmm . . . I started this because my original dawn scene contained too many colours [pretty expensive for printed matter like business cards & letterhead] — can I incorporate a simpler design of it with fewer colours [like 2 or 3 max]?
This is the Harrington font on top of my dawn graphic — the left image has the D more to the right of the V while the second image has the D slightly more to the left of the V ‘curl’. At this stage, I think I prefer the left image because the letters are just a little less crowded & I like the little ‘flick’ of the D peeking out to the right.
These examples are of the DD [Dawne Design] on the same dawn image. The left is in the Harrington font, while the right is in Apple Chancery. I definitely like the curl with Harrington but I like the way the double Ds can be closer together with Chancery.
A couple of fonts in different colours for my registered business name:
Still lots of work to do — Make It Simple!!