Many people create a “Bucket List” of things they want to do before they “kick the bucket”. I want to create a similar list but without the morbid finality of death by attaching the more creativity & endlessness of life to it. I want my list to continually grow so I’m also setting it up as a separate category on this blog. As I continue to explore my creative being more ideas sprout & this would be a perfect place to record them. Right now, these are simply general ideas, but as I work at each one, more details will be posted. So, in no particular order, here’s the start of my:
- Visit Buckhaven, Scotland In the Shire of Fife, Buckhaven is a small fishing village where Nana, my maternal grandmother grew up with my great-grandparents, “Mother” and “Daddy Jim”. While in Scotland I want to visit medieval ruins & the magical Stonehenge & King Arthur’s mythical Camelot & the wild coastline & castles & maybe Wales & maybe Ireland & . . .
- Create Stained Glass Art It’s been a few years since I’ve had the space to cut glass. I’m very excited to be getting back to working with stained glass [see Creative Acts IX & XI coming soon!]. As I start collecting all my ideas together, this area will end up with more than enough projects to last me while I still have a working brain.
- Sing in a Choir I used to sing in both my school & church choirs when I was younger. I’m always humming & singing whenever I hear a catchy tune & often bee-bopping & drumming the beat when driving — music is a necessity!
- Play an Instrument Always miffed because I wasn’t allowed to play drums in our grade 8 band “because I was a girl” I’d like to learn the African drums we saw in FA100 class — either that or take up bagpipes again — I don’t think I can do both.
- Get a Kayak Go kayaking as often as possible. Explore Georgia Strait. Explore the west coast of Vancouver Island.
- Write a Novel A couple of projects on the go here on my blog include “Letters To My Sons” & “Natasha”.
- Create Geneology Tree Mom has collected a lot of information about her Irish dad’s family [Hughes] & has started to correspond with the few Blakeman relatives we have from my dad’s English, and maybe Welsh, family. I’d like to explore the Scottish [Stewart, Fulton] side of our family further & maybe look into our possible Welsh connection. Talk with Mom & get copies of records & images that she has. Determine ancestry from birth/death records & start the trail backwards. Record digitally & pass on to family. Update regularly with names, dates & images as the family grows.
- Create Collages of My 3 Sons I have tons of old photos & memorabilia of my children — some I’d like to scan & record digitally but I’d also like to make old-fashioned, non-digital collages of each of my children showing them from babies to young men. I like some of the Victorian collage pages shown recently at the New York Metropolitan Museum of Art.
- Garden Both my father & grandfather were professional landscapers & gardeners in Calgary — & I’ve passed that love onto my sons. Compared to Alberta, practically everything grows so easy here! When I had houses, I liked planting & pruning — I’d like to start here with some bulbs in a container & grow from there.
- Design & Renovate Home I’ve always enjoyed drafting, interior design, painting, tiling, . . . anything to do with updating older homes. Like stained glass, this area will have a never-ending list of projects.
- Enjoy My Family With this digital age, I’d like to compensate for the lack of physical presence that fractures our modern family. I have my parents & most of my siblings in Calgary but two brothers who live in Toronto & Red Deer — I have two grandsons in Calgary — I have a son & grandson in Vanderhoof. I’ve started a blog for my son’s business & I’d like to set us up with a “Blakeman/Stewart/? Family” blog to connect with my large, & ever increasing, world-wide family.
- Earn a Living Being Creative Long involved with the admin & technical side of business, I’d like to be able to earn a decent [I don’t need a million bucks!!] living from my creative outlets. This blog has started me on a wonderful path & I’d like to continue travelling it.
I’m sure there will be lots more to add to this as time goes on. I think I have plenty to work on right here.
- photo by methilnomore, copyright Panoramio –> http://www.tripwolf.com/en/guide/show/243222/Scotland/Buckhaven
- my first stained glass project  in copper foil –> Government St. apt. 2003?
- clip art from http://www.bing.com/images –> mcpasd.k12.wi.us
- clip art from http://www.bing.com/images –> mergenthaler.baltimorecityschools.org
- clip art from http://www.bing.com/images –> http://www.beachhunter.net
- clip art from http://www.bing.com/images –> http://www.noclichecopy.com
- clip art from http://www.bing.com/images –> http://www.packrat-pro.com
- clip art from The Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York. –> untitled page from the Princess Alexandra Album[1866/69] from The Royal Collection, Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II [Alexandra, Princess of Wales b. Denmark 1844 d. 1925]
- my friend’s garden in Calgary
- clip art from http://www.bing.com/images –> http://www.t-square.com
- me with my two youngest sons, Blair & Corey, 2002 August
- my blog